So it’s like this: I was bored. smilla02 was bored, and both of us were desperately craving some ficspiration of the Dean Winchester variety. Earlier, on a random comment thread ages ago, that’s who-knows where, I was ranting about how awesome it would be if I could just prompt AU’s for other people to write (mostly because I love inventing them, but am crap at the follow-through). And there were a few others who shared this somewhat reaching desire. So when it came to figuring out a gimmick for a comment meme, I figured why not incorporate that somehow. Meanwhile, Smilla02, being the observant lady she is, decided it was time to pick her self up by her bootstraps and get going already with this thing ‘cause, HELLO. IT’S ALMOST DEAN’S BIRTHDAY GUYS.
So we teamed up, she kicked my butt into gear, and we hemmed and hawed over snippy little details and here we are. A week away from 6.12, and 3 days away from Dean’s birthday. OBVS DEAN FICCAGE MUST BE HAD!
The Theme: Let me explain it to you. Ahem:
Okay, so there’s a little more to it than that.
On the surface, this is just a regular old comment fic meme. People post prompts that are related to Dean Winchester. Reply with comment-fic or comment art. Easy. Now here’s where it gets interesting: You can also take a prompt, and repost it with an AU twist.
For example, I post a regular old prompt:
“Dean teaching Ben how to play pool.”
Smillla comes along, and posts what we’ll call a “Mirror” prompt:
“Dean teaching Ben how to play pool. Mirror: Dean is blind”
“Dean teaching Ben how to play pool. Mirror: Sam never came back for Dean in 6.01”
The idea is to create a collection of comment fics/artworks that reflect both the Mirrors and the original prompts. So please feel free to fill either. You can also mix it up and apply a Mirror to a different prompt if you'd like! And do try to leave original and Mirror prompts if you can, so we can maintain a nice balance.
Without further ado, we present you with:
Looking Glass: Dean Winchester (and his reflection)
1. Comment to this post with a prompt.
Example: Dean Loves Birthday Cake
2. If you want to re-post a prompt as a Mirror of an original prompt, leave another comment below it with your new prompt, marking it as a Mirror in the subject line:
Example: Subject line: Mirror
Comment body: Dean loves Birthday Cake - Mirror: He wishes for a brother every year
Prompts can have more than one Mirror. And if you want to take a Mirror and apply it to a different prompt, you can do that too!
3. Choose the prompt/prompts that inspires you (either original or mirror) and reply to it. Replies can be fic and or/art. You can fill your own prompt. A single prompt can be filled by more than one artist/writer.
4. Remember to put the relevant info in the subject line, including warnings where applicable. If you'd rather not warn, put 'Choose not to warn' instead,
If you're answering an original prompt, your subject line should look like this:
FILLED: Title, pairing/characters, ratings, eventual warnings
If you're answering a Mirror prompt, your subject line should look like this:
DELLIF: Title, pairing/characters, ratings, eventual warnings
5. Oh yeah. Any pairing is cool. As is Gen. As long as Dean’s in the mix. A big part of the mix. Like chocolate in chocolate milk. Or peanuts in trail mix.
6. No min/max length for prompts. Outside links are cool too, if things get out of hand. We’ve all been there. For art, please, the teaser shouldn't be bigger than 400x300 pixels.
7. It's worth repeating: art submissions/fills are allowed and encouraged!
8. No spoilers for unaired episodes please.
9. There’s no limit on the amount of prompts you can leave, or fill. Just keep in mind our suggestion above regarding leaving Mirror and original prompts to even things out.
10. We’re keepin’ this for kids 14 and up, folks. So swearing and, shall we say Network TV levels of sex and violence are acceptable. HBO? Maybe not. Casa Erotica XVI ? Nope. Nothing personal, we’re just aiming to keep this an open post.
11. If you’re shy, you can post anonymously.
12. Feedback is glorious. Live it, love it, leave it.
13. Please, read the rules, be respectful, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
The meme IS NOW CLOSED FOR PROMPTING BUT WILL STAY OPEN FOR FILLS FOREVER AN
Seriously. What have I gotten myself into?
Code for pimping:
Eta: Some folks seem kind of confused as to what the Mirror prompt is supposed to be. It isn't just a continuation or add-on to the original prompt. It should be a kind of AU that you think might pair well with the prompt. Even better if it can stand alone, so that writers might pair it with another prompt too! Sorry if that wasn't clear!
1. Untitled artwork by petite_madame (Mirror: Dean has a kid)
2. Untitled digital art by amberdreams (Dean in New York City (on his birthday?). The grittier the better. Mirror: he's hunting unicorns in Central Park)
3.Some say the world will end in water, by i_speak_tongue (Dean's afraid of water now. Mirror: He's always been hydrophobic)
4. And if the dam breaks open, byvie_dangerouse (Dean gets sick and loses his voice. Mirror: He said yes to Michael.)
5.Too Quiet, by jennytork (Dean's high school science fair project. It's a little... disturbing. Mirror: Dean hasn't spoken since he was 4 years old.)
6. Untitled fic by tabaqui (Dean keeps getting glimpse into the the fairies world. Please, include souled!Sam. (Gen) Mirror: and this faerie world is much darker than the wee leprechauns and tinkerbelles they encountered last time)
7. Sir Dean vs. the Griffin, by brosedshield (Dean v. some kind of big time old magic beast, a giant or a basilisk or a griffin or some such. Mirror: Oh, hey, he's actually a medieval knight.)
8. Needful Things, by Anon (Dean wants only one birthday present: some peace of mind. Lisa calls him. They talk.
Mirror: He's calling her from the terminal ward of the hospital. Sam didn't make it.)
9. Deus est Amor, by lavinialavender (Dean v. some kind of big time old magic beast, a giant or a basilisk or a griffin or some such. Mirror: Oh, hey, he's actually a medieval knight.)
10. Cursaders, byramblin_rosie (Dean v. some kind of big time old magic beast, a giant or a basilisk or a griffin or some such. Mirror: Oh, hey, he's actually a medieval knight.)
11. True Grit, by amberdreams (Dean in New York City (on his birthday?). The grittier the better. Mirror: 2014!Dean)
12. The Love of a Boy, by jennytork (Ben teaching Dean how to play pool)
13. Geometry, by jennytork (Dean teaching Ben how to play pool Mirror: Dean is blind)
1. The Returned, by i_speak_tongue (Sam and Dean are salting and burning the ghost of some Mafia boss in gritty Boston. Dean's sick, and Sam's all annoyed because he wouldn't stay in the car/motel. They also keep arguing about who gets to be Matt Damon and who gets to be Leo DiCaprio.)
2. Katzenjammer, by purple_carpets (Dean does something ridiculously dangerous.... to save a kitten.)